The Midtown Greenway Coalition is coalition of individuals and organizations who love the Midtown Greenway and want to protect and enhance it. Our mission is to empower communities to develop, improve, protect, and enjoy the Midtown Greenway as a green urban corridor to improve people’s lives.
We’re the grassroots nonprofit organization that advocated for the Midtown Greenway trails to be put in by public agencies. Our founders first started working on the Greenway in the late 80’s by meeting with neighborhood leaders all along the corridor. They formed the Midtown Greenway Coalition in partnership with neighborhoods all along the corridor.
We became an official nonprofit organization in 1995, and worked to get each section of the Greenway completed from 2000 – 2007. It has since become one of the busiest bikeways in Minnesota and recognized as the best urban bike trail in the nation.
Our work wasn’t done when the trail was finished. Now, we work to protect and enhance the Midtown Greenway. We:
- – Work with developers to make sure they build Greenway ‘friendly’ buildings that include affordable housing.
- – Work to ensure the Greenway is open, safe, and inviting for everyone.
- – Coordinate the Trail Watch community patrol volunteers, who bike the Greenway to help keep it safe.
- – Advocate for extending the Greenway over the river and through Saint Paul!
- – Plant trees and gardens and work to make the Greenway even greener.
- – Advocate for a turf-track streetcar, which will bring more people to the Greenway and increase safety, while offering a great way for community members to connect to the Hiawatha and future SW LRT.
- – Encourage more people to use the Greenway for biking, walking, exercise, relaxation, and transportation.
- – Work to improve signage and wayfinding.
Join us! Become a member at www.midtowngreenway.org and help protect and enhance the nation’s best urban trail!